A good night’s sleep is an essential part of your health and well-being. It is as essential as a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Unfortunately, people now sleep less and have less quality sleep than in the past. There’s a lot that can interfere with natural sleep patterns.
Our bodies can do amazing things while we sleep. Sleep-deprived people can experience adverse effects on their physical and emotional health that can last a lifetime.
The impact of sleep on wellness cannot be overstated. Getting enough sleep every night helps protect your physical and mental health as well as improve your quality of life.
Why is getting enough sleep important?
Getting enough sleep has many benefits and it isn’t only about total hours of sleep you get. But to get good quality sleep on a regular schedule so you feel rested when you wake up.
Sleep can help you:
- Think more clearly and do better in school and at work
- Stay at a healthy weight
- Reduce stress and improve your mood
- Get along better with people
- Get sick less often
- Lower your risk for serious health problems, like diabetes and heart disease
How Does Sleep Help You?
- Improves mental health
- Having a healthy heart and less risk of having heart disease and stroke
- Reduction in gaining of weight
- Good sleepers tend to eat fewer calories
- Good sleep can improve concentration and productivity
- Sleep improves your immune system
- It helps you have a healthier skin
Why Can’t I Sleep?
Many things cause sleep deprivation and sleep disruption that impact wellness. It includes:
- Some medicines
- Having pain
- Stress or anxiety from work or school
- Health conditions, like heartburn or asthma
- Untreated sleep disorders
What Can Be Done?
Sleep is a vital part of maintaining overall wellness in so many ways. If you are having trouble sleeping, try making changes to your routine to get the sleep you need such as:
- Change what you do during the day
- Create a comfortable sleep environment
- Set a bedtime routine
If you feel stressed, have anxiety, trouble sleeping, or any emotional distress, or concerned about the persistence of your sleep problem, contact your doctor.
It is important that you prioritize getting adequate sleep. It is an important part of physical. It can make an enormous impact on the quality of your life.
A doctor can suggest different sleep routines or medicines to treat sleep disorders. Talk with a doctor before trying over-the-counter sleep medicine.